Thursday, July 21, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars


This post goes out to the three lovely ladies who all reminded me that I still have a blog this week - Blair, Jill, and Diana! Thanks for the push to update, I promise I'll get back on it again and start posting on a regular schedule. I haven't been cooking anything new or blogworthy lately but feel inspired to get back in the kitchen! My oven broke last night (3rd time in 3 years, lovely!) so we'll continue to do a lot of grilling out and cooking as opposed to baking for a while.

Since I can't bake without an oven that works, I thought I'd write about baking...next best thing, right? This recipe comes from the amazing Jen, whose blogs I love! I've seen her make these peanut butter chocolate chip bars several times over the past year or so, and have always thought they looked good and knew I wanted to try them. I don't know why I waited so long - they are SO amazing! I've made 2 double batches so far - I brought them to new mom Lindsay, served them at our 4th of July party, brought leftovers went to my mom & dad when I went over there for dinner, and of course a few stayed at our house too. John proclaimed them the best dessert I've ever made. What?! So thanks, Jen, for the amazing recipe!  


Here's a pic from the 4th of July party...I think all of the PB bars had been consumed by then and we were on to beer :-)

The recipe posted below is for a single batch - I doubled mine and put in a 9 x 13 baking dish. I don't think I'll ever be making just a single batch of these amazing bars!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
Recipe Source: Bakin and Eggs
Serves 12

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside. Cream butter and peanut butter together on medium speed, until soft and creamy and well combined. Beat in the sugars until the mixture is light and fluffy and completely combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and scrape down the sides of the bowl after each egg. Add the vanilla, and slowly add in the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips until just combined.

Pour mixture into an 8x8 baking dish and bake for about 30 - 35 minutes. Test with a fork or toothpick to make sure it is cooked all the way through. Let sit until it is cooled completely before cutting into squares.

1 comment:

  1. so in love with these things! happy to hear they were a hit with family and friends!

    i just made some white chocolate toffee brownies this week that are pretty ridiculous too. just blogged about them on bakin' and eggs.

    happy friday!

    ReplyDelete